Friday, June 13, 2008

Herron looks to make mark with Fire

Herron looks to make mark with Fire


BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- Andy Herron has scored four goals in his last two games for the Chicago Fire.

But Herron has no goals in five short appearances (89 minutes) with the Fire in MLS league games this season. How is that possible?

Herron scored twice, including the game-winner in the 116th minute, as the Fire won the U.S. Open play-in game against Columbus Tuesday in Peoria, Ill. on the campus of Bradley University. Two days prior to that, Herron scored twice as the Fire reserves lost to D.C. United in a wild 5-4 outcome.

But Herron can't break into the starting lineup for the Fire, who are enjoying a solid season with a 6-3-1 record heading into Sunday's game at FC Dallas. And Herron is not likely to play in that game, since he put in 120 minutes in the Open Cup match Tuesday.

Although he is not ready to admit it, his status with the Fire has got to be difficult to deal with, considering how he played the first time he was with the team.

After growing up in his native Costa Rica's professional leagues, Herron joined the Fire in 2004 and scored four goals in just four games for the Fire. He was named MLS Player of the Week in back-to-back weeks with that stretch of games.

In 2005, while battling injury, he scored two goals for the Fire in MLS games, two goals in U.S. Open Cup play and two goals in the newly formed Reserve Division. In 2006, he was the Fire's leading scorer with eight goals, despite missing the first six games of the season due to a suspension that came out of his actions in the final game of the 2005 season.

The Fire traded Herron to Columbus before the 2007 season, and Herron struggled with the way he was used by the Crew. He also suffered another suspension, this one for four games, for an elbow on Jay Heaps of New England. But he still managed four goals in 18 games for the Crew before signing a new contract with MLS to play for the Fire.

But the Fire team he joined was a little top-heavy, with Chad Barrett finding his place, Chris Rolfe getting his time and Polish international Tomasz Frankowski getting starts.

"I have to be honest, Chad is doing well," Herron said, referring to Barrett's team-high five goals. "But you have to be ready. I'm happy for Chad and for the team, but you can't put your head down and stop scoring goals. I'm a forward and I have to keep working.

"You don't know what could happen," he continued. "I'm not wishing him bad, but you have to be prepared. If Chad is not going to be on the field and they say 'Andy, we need you,' at least they know they have a second option."

Herron's goal Tuesday was a header from a great cross off the foot of Justin Mapp. Herron said he barely touched the ball with his head to send it past Columbus goalkeeper William Hesmer.

"Not too many forwards in our league can finish that play," Fire coach Denis Hamlett said. "He got up and just redirected it a little bit."

The second goal came late in the overtime period after the regulation 90 minutes ended 2-2. Playing with substitutes Barrett and rookie Patrick Nyarko, who has yet to play in a league game, Herron saw a chance to make a run on a pass from Barrett.

"Those are moments where your legs are telling you 'You have to wait for the right moment,'" Herron said with a laugh. "I was getting tired. I thought 'I am just going to hang here.' Denis brought in Chad and Patrick and I knew it was going to help me in support and I could wait to make my run.

"Chad played me a great ball, and my first touch, I saw Hesmer backing up," he said. "When I looked again, I saw he was coming so fast I knew he did not have a chance to stop. So I touched the ball aside and he picked me off."

Hesmer was called for a foul and Herron nailed the ensuing penalty kick for the win.

"After 120 minutes, he was fatigued, but he still found one more spurt to his team win," Hamlett said.

So Herron, who has a role on the team as one of the happy-go-lucky guys, found a way to help the team in a key situation, even though it was not in league play.

"I'm all right," he said. "Helping the team in the Open Cup makes me happy. It gives me confidence."

It probably gives the Fire confidence as well.



  • Fire expect Revs to target revenge
  • Commitment to defense fueling Fire
  • Fire add chapter to Open Cup lore
  • No comments: