Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game


FRISCO, Texas -- On Tuesday morning, FC Dallas' two MLS All-Stars leave for Toronto. Rumors have been swirling around FCD about the possibility of Kenny Cooper and Juan Toja possibly leaving for Europe in the near future, but for now, the Hoops forward and midfielder are more focused on enjoying the All-Star experience.

This will be Cooper's first trip to the midseason classic and the Dallas native, who leads FCD with nine goals, still can't believe that he was named to the First XI about 10 days ago.

"(I am) very excited about it," Cooper said. "I'm still taken aback by the news and feel so thankful to those who have chosen me to be there. I'm really excited to be out there. It was definitely a surprise. I was at home and my parents and girlfriend were there. It was a special moment for sure. I'm still taken aback by it even though it's been almost a week since I found out about it. I'm really excited about it."

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

NEWS • Blanco plays the hero for MLS
• All-Stars demonstrate strength of MLS
• Stars gush over All-Star experience
• All-Star nod No. 9 fine for Mastroeni
• All-Star notebook: Long day's end
• Hammers pleased with performance
• Blanco leads MLS past West Ham
• Garber's State of the League address
• All-Stars aim to defeat West Ham
• All-Star first for MLS luminaries
• De Rosario shines in spotlight
• West Ham visits land of opportunity
• MLS announces All-Star First XI
• MLS All-Stars to face West Ham
ANALYSIS • Davis: All-Star Game earns high marks
• Davis: All-Star matchups
• A look at West Ham United roster
PRESS RELEASES
• MLS All-Stars defeat West Ham United
• MLS seeks two expansion teams by 2011
• MLS finalizes '08 All-Star roster
• West Ham to face MLS All-Stars
• Toronto to host 2008 All-Star Game
SIGHTS & SOUNDS

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Highlights: MLS 3, WHU 2: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Postgame press conference: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Awards presentation: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

David Beckham postgame: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Dwayne De Rosario's penalty kick: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Dean Ashton's double: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Cuauhtemoc Blanco's bender: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

Christian Gomez's goal: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

MLS-West Ham Preview: 350K

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

All-Star Highlights, part 1: Photos

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

All-Star Highlights, part 2: Photos

Cooper, Toja excited for All-Star Game

2008 All-Star First XI: Photos

While Cooper is a first-time all-star, this is the second consecutive trip for Toja. He scored the second goal in a 2-0 win against Celtic FC in the 2007 event.

"It's very nice to be there again," he said. "I'm very happy and it's good for me. I want to play there and see what happens."

Toja was chosen by New England head coach Steve Nicol last week, a selection that was somewhat surprising considering that the Colombian international has struggled to find his top form this year and has just two goals and two assists.

"(I was surprised) because the first part of the season wasn't the best for me," Toja said. "It's a good surprise and I will have to enjoy it."

Cooper is clearly excited to have Toja along for the ride in his first all-star game.

"I'm really excited for Juan," he said. "He's been a player that has had such an incredible impact on this team since he came last year. He was an all-star last year and our team MVP. He's somebody that I admire because he works so hard in training every day and in games. I'm, happy for him that he gets the opportunity to go out there."

And Toja is expecting a different experience at this year's midseason classic than a year ago.

"Last year, I was very new," he said. "I wasn't speaking good English then, but now I have gotten better. This year, going with Kenny is good because he is my teammate. We will be together on that team and that is good."

Yet another plus for Toja is getting to play alongside his countryman, New York Red Bulls striker Juan Pablo Angel for the second consecutive year.

"I met him last year at the All-Star Game," he said. "He's a great guy who is from Colombia. He is a great player and I'm happy to be his teammate again. I will try to enjoy the moment again. Being an all-star is something fun because you get to play with new people."

Both players expect an incredible atmosphere at BMO Field for the game on Thursday night. This will be Cooper's first ever trip there, while Toja has played there once before.

"I have never been up there but hear incredible things about the city and their support," Cooper said. "I see it on TV and it's amazing. I'm sure it will be the same for the all-star game and will be a great occasion against a very good West Ham team."

Said Toja: "I think it's great," he said. "There are a lot of people in the stadium and everybody is jumping and singing. It's a lot like it is in South America. That's very good because you feel like it is a great soccer atmosphere. It is in the top three in the league for the best places to play."

No comments: