Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hartman closing on MLS save mark

Hartman closing on MLS save mark


KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Once again, 11-year MLS goalkeeper Kevin Hartman is on the verge of setting an all-time MLS record. If the former member of the Los Angeles Galaxy and the current Kansas City Wizards netminder makes 33 more saves on the season, giving him 1,137 for his career, he will eclipse idol Tony Meola at the head of a long line of talented MLS shot-stoppers.

The all-time save mark will stand next to his all-time shutout mark and his all-time win mark, and add to Hartman's already incredible career.

"I have ton of respect for Tony, somebody that was so successful here in Kansas City and played in the league. I always looked up to him, even when he was at [the University of Virginia] and playing in the Marlboro Cup. I think I watched it in New Jersey when they played on turf, I think in '90. Even in '89, I was watching a game, and I was pretty excited by Tony Meola," said Hartman. "To be mentioned along with him is something I'm humbled by."

But those marks are not the biggest story about Kevin Hartman and his career. Neither is his humble attitude nor his longevity -- Hartman ended last Saturday's game with 26,325 career minutes played, passing former Wizards midfielder and coach Chris Henderson for second place on the all-time MLS list in the eighth minute.

The story lies in why he does what he does.

"Every game that I go into, I try to make as many saves as I possibly can," said the UCLA product. "It's nice to know that [the record] is out there, but I want to keep my teams in games and give them an opportunity to win."

Hartman has won two MLS Cups in his time, and he knows the glory it brings. Thankful to Wizards head coach for having brought him to Kansas City, he wants to help bring that glory to others.

"You run out of opportunities to win championships, and that's what it's all really about. [Former Galaxy teammate] Danny Pena one time said to me, 'This might be my last opportunity [to win a championship].'" said Hartman. "As a friend of his, I wanted to do it for him. It's something I get excited about. But I feel like I'm always trying to help other people out and to prove myself, so it's always a constant battle."

And after a moderate 2007 season, Hartman used the offseason to get himself in top shape to help the Wizards reach the next level after gaining the Western Conference final last season. As a result, Hartman has played every minute this season and, more importantly, has been reborn as a top clutch shot-stopper in the league.

"[This year] he's been very steady. He's made the saves we've needed him to make at the right times. He's been making timely saves," said team captain Jimmy Conrad. "You just can't put a price on how valuable that is. He's been clutch for us this year, and we're going to have to continue to have him playing at a high level for the rest of the year."

In the 48th minute of the second half against FC Dallas last Saturday, the 34-year-old Hartman made his best save of the night as he extended high to his left to knock away a long-distance drive from 13-goal scorer Kenny Cooper to keep the Wizards to within one goal. It wasn't until stoppage time when Conrad pulled Kansas City level, but the job had been done.

"I have this huge sense of responsibility ... I felt like I owed it to the guys because the [Andre Rocha] goal in the first half was, I know the guy hit it well, but at the end of the day, it was from 100 yards out," said Hartman. "I feel like, if I can keep them close, sooner or later we're going to get it done."

The Wizards have nine matches left on the season to earn a playoff spot, and they can count on their stalwart in goal.

"I want to win a championship for these guys because maybe it's their last time. I want to win a championship because maybe this is my last time. I want to win a championship because maybe some of these young guys are going to be thrown down to the A-League if we're not successful," he said.

"As somebody that has been put in this unbelievable situation where I get to be the goalkeeper for a Major League Soccer team, and there's only 14 of them, I have this great responsibility," Hartman continued. "It's a challenge that I accept all the time."

No comments: