Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blanco says goodbye to international play

Cuauhtйmoc Blanco informed his teammates on the Mexican national team that Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Canada would be his final appearance for El Tri after a storied and at times controversial 13-year career.

It was a decision the Chicago Fire midfielder said he made about 15 days ago and one he didn't share with his teammates until Monday.

"I'm thankful to the Mexican national team, it has been a dream to be here, but there comes a time when you have to say goodbye," Blanco told a press conference after Mexico's 2-1 win at Estadio Victor Manuel Reyna in Tuxtla Gutierrez.

The 25,000 fans there were hoping for one last glimpse of their hero, who made his international debut against Uruguay in 1995. But that was in doubt when Ali Gerba brought Canada to within a goal in the 78th minute.

"It seemed difficult," Blanco said. "I wanted to come on. For a moment I thought I wouldn't be able to, given the circumstances of the game, above all because the end of the game got tricky for us, but I got the opportunity and I'm grateful."

Finally in the last minute of regulation, Mexican national team coach Sven-Goran Eriksson used his third substitution to bring on Blanco, who earned his 100th cap.

"I hope I did not disrespect him," Eriksson said. "I did what was best for the team, which was winning three points. With a different score, maybe he would have played more."

Blanco entered to a thunderous applause and was immediately handed the captain's armband from Rafael Marquez, a gesture that surprised and touched Blanco.

"It was a nice touch by Rafa. The truth is I wasn't expecting it, but it was great to have the captain's armband and go out in that way," Blanco said. "It demonstrates that I'm leaving happy, and that whatever other situation that took place in the past is no longer important."

When the match ended four minutes later and Mexico had all but booked passage into the final CONCACAF hexagonal, Blanco was carried off the field by his teammates, some of whom unfurled a banner that read "Gracias Cuauhtйmoc."

"There's no division in the group, we continue to get along well and I don't have problems," Blanco said. "On Monday I told them I would retire, and several of them asked me not to, but the decision is done. I leave happy."

And Blanco also leaves as one of the most decorated players in Mexican history. He scored 34 goals in a career that included a pair of World Cups (France '98 and Korea/Japan 2002) CONCACAF Gold Cup titles in 1996 and 1998, and a win against Brazil for the 1999 Confederations Cup.

While he waved goodbye to the fans at Estadio Victor Manuel Reyna, Blanco said he'd still like one more opportunity to wear the Mexican shirt.

"I would like to have a game in the Estadio Azteca, to have 10 or 15 minutes and retire there," he said.

For now, though, Blanco will head back to the Chicago Fire, which is battling for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The 35-year-old has plans to return to Mexico, where he's a two-time league MVP, and play once again for Club Amйrica.

"I still have a commitment to be in the United States and then to play six months with Amйrica, if they want me," Blanco said. "Though hopefully not right now since they're doing badly."

No comments: