Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Wizards acquire Gomez for playoff push

Wizards acquire Gomez for playoff push


KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- The Kansas City Wizards will have to go full bore in their final eight games to win a spot in the MLS Cup Playoffs, currently sitting seven points short of the final spot. On Wednesday, the club added what they hope will be a catalyst in that drive, obtaining forward Herculez Gomez from the Colorado Rapids.

"He's good one-on-one; he's very aggressive going forward," said Wizards technical director Peter Vermes. "Some guys just wind up being in the right spot at the right time, and there are other guys that make things happen with the way they go at players because they're aggressive."

To obtain the 26-year-old Gomez, the Wizards sent a fourth-round draft pick in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft, a first-round pick in the 2009 Supplemental Draft and allocation money to the Rapids. Vermes said the deal was a long time in the making.

"We've been talking back and forth with Colorado since last season about a couple of different players between them and us. We have a pretty good relationship," said Vermes, who dealt defender Jose Burciaga Jr. to Colorado in January. "Over the weekend they contacted us back and said they'd be interested in making a move on a couple guys. We [then] had more discussions regarding Herculez."

Vermes also emphasized Gomez's aggressiveness defensively, lauding his ability to funnel the ball into predictable channels for midfielders and backs and to force mistakes with the ball. The ability recalled Mo Johnston and Miklos Molnar's work in 2000 for Vermes when the three teammates led the Wizards to the MLS Cup title.

"I'm feisty -- [my biggest strength] is my will," said the five-year MLS veteran. "Since I was younger I've never been one of the best players, but I still keep moving up the ranks. ... I've done enough to keep on learning and keep on getting better."

Gomez is familiar with Wizards goalkeeper Kevin Hartman and midfielder Sasha Victorine from their days as teammates with the Los Angeles Galaxy, and with team captain Jimmy Conrad, with whom he teamed at the 2007 Copa America on the U.S. national team. His excitement was clear as he talked about his admiration for head coach Curt Onalfo and his new organization.

"It's a surprise, but a pleasant surprise. I'm excited and hoping a change of scenery will do me good," said the Las Vegas resident. "It's a clean slate. I know what I can do; I've done it in this league before. I'm going to a team that has had success in both MLS Cup and Open Cup -- they know what it's like to win championships. I've heard great things about the organization, and I'm really looking forward to this challenge."

Gomez's best season was in 2005 when he scored 11 league goals and 18 in all competitions as he helped lead the Galaxy to the MLS and Open Cup titles. Overall, he has put away 22 goals and added eight assists in 90 MLS matches, 56 of them starts. And he feels his fitness is high even though he has played only 644 minutes with the Rapids this season, coming off a right ACL tear suffered about this time last season.

"Fitness is great. It's always been one of those things that I use to my benefit. Mentally, I'm getting stronger every day. Ask any player and one of the biggest things is confidence. I feel like I'm getting back there," said Gomez.

In the third year of a four-year contract, Gomez will look to raise the Wizards' intensity as they head to Houston to take on the Dynamo this Sunday, the latest critical match in their playoff fight. Gomez is just looking to find a way to contribute.

"I'll put [the ball in the net] with my knee if I have to," he said.

No comments: