Sunday, November 9, 2008

Moor wants to become Hoops' anchor

Moor wants to become Hoops anchor


FRISCO, Texas -- Drew Moor has been with FC Dallas since 2005, when he was the sixth overall pick in the MLS SuperDraft. With the recent retirement of Bobby Rhine, he and fellow defender Aaron Pitchkolan are now the two longest-tenured players for the Hoops. A consistent performer at either right or center back, Moor was given a multiple-year contract extension by FCD earlier this week.

"Fantastic -- he's a Dallas player, a Dallas boy growing up here and has a lot of similarities to Kenny (Cooper)," FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "He's a good human being, a good person of character and good defender. I think there's a good upside for him. We're glad to have him."

Moor is equally excited about remaining in his hometown.

"It's something that obviously I'm extremely excited about after supporting the club since day one really," he said. "I had some other options and it wasn't a sure thing. But obviously my heart is here and I've had a good first four years here. I want to continue to help this team grow and to help it grow into a championship-caliber team, which I know I haven't seen yet since I've been here. I want to be a big part of it."

When asked about those other options, Moor said that teams inside MLS and clubs abroad were in the mix.

The former University of Indiana player started 27 games for FCD in 2008, scored twice and assisted on another goal. But in the end, the Hoops did not qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2004, a big source of consternation for Moor and his teammates.

"It's definitely disappointing and I feel like we've trained even after we've lost in the first round the last three years," Moor said. "It's tough to come in here knowing you don't have a game on Saturday. But it's definitely a time where you need to put some work in and work on some of the things that we need to improve upon from the end of the previous season. A tough end and obviously not the result we wanted. We put ourselves into a good position with about three games remaining to make the playoffs and just didn't get it done. We had missed opportunities and just didn't take advantage of the chances we had."

Depending on what happens in the offseason with FCD center back Duilio Davino, who wore the captain's armband all year for the Hoops, Moor could be the captain in 2009. Whether he is or not, Hyndman still wants to see more leadership from his young defender.

"I think he has that inside him," Hyndman said. "I think he has the capabilities. Part of it is the confidence but the other part is the language and not knowing if he can get through to some players. I think the leadership we're looking for from players, you don't have to wear the armband to be the so-called captain. I think it's just the leadership qualities, being a person that's leading and demonstrating the right ways."

"I want to continue to do that," Moor said. "I'm a little bit disappointed in myself for maybe not taking more of a leadership role. It's not an easy thing to do. I'm a year older now and a year further along with this team. Obviously, it's time to do that.

"Whether I'm captain or somebody else, everybody needs to do their own part in helping to lead this team," he continued. "Some guys have bigger parts. I want to be one of those guys and need to be one of those guys. I need to focus a little more on this team because the last four years, we haven't had a true leader and we need somebody to get in the faces at halftime, the end of the games and in training to get this team going. It hasn't happened the last few years and it needs to."

He considers being one of the longest-tenured Hoops a big honor.

"It means a lot," Moor said. "Hopefully I have three years left to continue to grow with the team. (Pitchkolan) has been right there by my side and hopefully he and I can continue to be leaders of this team and hopefully be a big part of it. It's a young team and we want to be able to help the oung guys continue to develop and even more than that, to thrive as next season goes along. I'm looking forward to it. It's a mission that I've set out on. It's hopefully three more years and I'm ready for it."

Last week, both FCD goalkeeper Dario Sala and forward Jeff Cunningham stated their plans to remain in Frisco to prepare for next season, something Moor plans to join them in doing.

"I've talked to Jeff and Dario about it," Moor said. "Those are two guys I know I look up to and I know that all the other players do. They're kind of on a mission themselves. Dario just got his deal redone. I've talked to Jeff and think he loves it here. He loves his team and wants to grow this into a championship-caliber team.

"I think we're all ready for this team to finally get out of the hole that it's in right now in not advancing out of the first round of the playoffs and now not getting into the playoffs. It's a team with the talent to compete with any team in this league but we need to continue to grow."

No comments: