Thursday, January 29, 2009

Purdy brings size, speed to FCD defense

Purdy brings size, speed to FCD defense


FRISCO, Texas -- While the acquisition of midfielder Dave van den Bergh from New York made the big headlines around FC Dallas in the days leading up to the SuperDraft, it was a less-publicized signing, that of 23-year-old defender Steve Purdy, which could have an equally galvanizing effect on the Hoops.

Purdy might be remembered as a good bet to be a first-round pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft after a solid four-year stay at Cal. Prior to that year's combine, he signed with German second division side 1860 Munich. The Los Angeles Galaxy ended up drafting him and when his rights expired at the start of this year, he started getting phone calls.

In the end, Purdy ended up in Dallas, a place where the 6-foot-4 center back brings some much-needed size and speed to an FCD backline that warrants some shoring up. After missing the morning training session on Wednesday due to a physical, the California native practiced with his new side that evening for the first time and likes what he has seen.

"It's been great," Purdy said. "Coming from Germany, it's definitely been different. I've only been in Dallas a couple of times but I really like it. The team has been really receptive, really open, and the coach has been great. The training has been tough but that's the way it has to be in preseason. It's been very good so far."

He has already noticed several major differences between play in Germany and here in the States.

"The physical play over there is big but you have a lot more fast guys over here," Purdy said. "As a center defender, you've got to make sure you're with your guy and he's more of a check player. Here, you've got a lot of guys who could turn you and take you out wide with their speed. That might be a slight adjustment to make but I think I will do all right here."

FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman likes what Purdy has shown thus far.

"I did a crash course with him (Wednesday) because he didn't train in the morning, but he did train in the evening," he said. "He looked pretty good and that was after testing at Michael Johnson Center. Today, I thought he looked better and a little bit fresher. He's a big boy and really has some good soccer sense. He puts himself in the right position when the opposition is receiving the ball. He's hard to beat and has quick feet. Right now, I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing."

Before ever arriving in Frisco, Purdy felt like he already had a good idea about what to expect from playing for Hyndman. His coach at Cal, Kevin Grimes, played for Hyndman at SMU and was also an assistant coach for the Mustangs before taking the helm for the Golden Bears.

"He told me that he brings a lot of the same styles that Kevin has and I've already seen it," Purdy said. "Schellas is really willing to work with young players like myself to develop us and to just be very open in any type of area you need work on. That's something I'm really looking forward to. I'm trying to work on anything I can here. I see a lot of similarities with Kevin already after just a couple training sessions. He said that he's hard on you because he wants you to become a better player. But he also roots for you."

Grimes' glowing recommendation spoke volumes about Hyndman's new defender. But he also remembers watching him play a few years ago in person and being impressed even then.

"We played Cal when Purdy was a senior," Hyndman said. "I made a comment to Kevin that he was their best player and he agreed with me. Kevin told me that I would like him because he was my kind of player. He can defend, is quick, athletic, has a good soccer mind and can distribute the ball. With those types of recommendations, we were waiting for his rights to expire. At 12:01 that morning, we put in a discovery on him."

Purdy's new coach definitely made a strong first impression on him.

"He was really open, a really friendly guy and wanted to get to know me as a person," he said of Hyndman. "He told me that once he gets to know you and sees your personality, that personality will carry over onto the field also. I think that's what he really wanted to see, what type of attitude that I had like how competitive I am, if I'm willing to learn and am open. He was challenging me with some different questions. All in all, it's good in this challenging sport."

At Cal, Purdy was teammates with star goalkeeper Stefan Frei, who was taken 13th overall in the 2009 SuperDraft.

"I played with Stefan for two years at Cal," Purdy said. "He's a great person, a great goalie. I think he's going to become an excellent professional if he avoids injuries and stuff like that. He's a great person and is going to carry that onto the field. He's got a lot of talent."

He also recalls playing against new teammate George John when he was playing for Pac-10 rival Washington.

"I remember playing against him," Purdy said. "I remember him being the tall guy in the middle (at Washington). He's a great player. I'm just hoping that he recovers from his injury. I think it would be great playing with him, coming in at the same time. I hope for a speedy recovery and think he brings a lot to our team."

No comments: