Thursday, February 26, 2009

So far, so good for Torres in Dallas

So far, so good for Torres in Dallas


FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas signed 31-year-old defender Daniel Torres to bolster their back line, they knew they were getting a seasoned player who could help their team.

Torres saw his first action for the Hoops on Saturday in a scrimmage against the University of Memphis, playing the entire second half at left back, his debut delayed a bit because of international duty.

"Danny has only been with us for less than a week," FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "We saw him last summer and liked him. We brought him in as a center back but at the same time, I wanted him to get some left back position play. I thought his distribution was very good and his decision making was very good. The thing I don't know yet is his defending because against Memphis, there weren't a lot of concerns. So we'll have a chance to evaluate him here in the next three weeks."

Because of responsibilities with the Costa Rican national team for World Cup qualifying, Torres wasn't able to begin preseason practice until last week. He admits he is still adjusting to his new surroundings.

"I've been here only for three and a half days and so far, so good," he said. "I'm comfortable and know most of the guys. I'm trying to adjust to them and they're trying to adjust to me. It's part of the process. It's a brand new team with a lot of young guys. There is a lot of responsibility with having to pull this thing together."

He first surfaced with FCD last November when Hyndman and assistant coach John Ellinger, who Torres played for while with Real Salt Lake in 2006 and 2007, brought him in for a look.

Most recently, he played for Swedish side Bodens BK and Torres feels the experience he has gained from playing in Europe can benefit his new team.

"I can give this team the experience that I gained from playing in Europe," he said. "I learned so many great things, especially last year when I was in Norway and with good coaches. That gives me confidence and a little something extra to give to this team."

While he has been with FCD for less than a week, Torres already likes what he sees.

"The youth of the team is a big plus," he said. "It's a double-edged weapon as well because there is some inexperience. That's where guys like Pablo (Ricchetti), Dario (Sala) and I come in. That's why we have the responsibility to help this team in leadership by being vocal during the games and stuff like that. The potential is pretty huge. There are some really good players here. They need to grow up and get better. We are going to try to make it happen this year. We want to make the playoffs this year for sure."

A center back by trade, Torres was shifted to left back for Saturday's scrimmage, a spot that is by no means foreign to the seasoned defender, who began his MLS career with Columbus, playing there from 2001-03.

"That's a position that I've played in the past," he said. "It's not the one that I feel more comfortable playing at but I know how to do it. I have played that position many times in my life. Regardless of where the coaching staff is going to use me, I'm going to do my best."

Other than Ellinger, he also knew two of his new teammates, forwards Jeff Cunningham and Jamie Watson, from his days back in RSL.

"I do know Jeff from a few years ago because we played together back in Columbus. I know his personality, the kind of player he is and his potential," Torres said. "Jamie was my teammate back in Salt Lake. We always had a really good relationship and a good friendship. That helps when you're adjusting to a new team."

On Monday morning, Torres departed with his new mates for Florida, where FCD will spend the entire week, playing three games and getting closer as a team.

"We're going to play three games over there and it's going to be interesting," he said. "It's going to be important to bond, to get together and to get to know each other better and better. These experiences are important to bring the team together. The better we know each other off the field, it's going to be reflected in better play on the pitch."

No comments: