Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sikora to return in time for playoff push

Sikora to return in time for playoff push


FRISCO, Texas -- When FC Dallas midfielder Victor Sikora went down with a knee injury on Aug. 23 at Kansas City, many Hoops faithful wondered how catastrophic the impact of the Dutch newcomer's absence would be. FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman had signed Sikora to roam the left flank, which before his arrival, had been a source of great uncertainty for the Hoops.

Sikora made his MLS debut the week before at Columbus and performed well. He also got another start the following week at the Wizards, but just after the halftime break injured his knee and had to leave the field. Unfortunately, the prognosis wasn't good. Sikora had a torn right lateral meniscus. Doctors cut out the damaged part of his meniscus, which meant he could return in 4-6 weeks.

Currently, Sikora has missed five games but could return to the bench in time for Thursday's big MLS Primetime Thursday match with San Jose. He is now ready to get back into the swing of things with FCD's first team just in time for a final push to the playoffs.

"My knee is better and I feel stronger," Sikora said last Friday. "It's been a quick recovery. I think I'm at about 80 percent. Maybe I can get back on the field this week. I plan on working all this week and maybe getting back in for the next game."

Count Hyndman among those a bit surprised at how quickly Sikora has recovered from the injury.

"I think we're all surprised," he said. "I think a lot of that comes from his mentality. He didn't come over here for the sunshine and the vacation. He came to make a name for himself and to improve his opportunities to play for the future. I think he's a competitor and I think he's one of those guys that I thought would be a really positive influence for the younger players. I think he has but has been limited since he hasn't been out here."

The Dutch international himself wasn't surprised a single bit.

"No (I wasn't surprised at my quick recovery), I've been there before," Sikora said. "The last one was fixed up and it took me three months. My recovery has taken three weeks and I'm ready to go on the field again. I'm resting up and have been working hard with (FCD head trainer) Josh (Watts) inside and out here. He did a good job."

With Sikora out, Hyndman has employed a number of options at left midfield but with mixed results. Dax McCarty started there for two games and has since returned to the bench. Second-year player Anthony Wallace got one start and looked somewhat lost. Marcelo Saragosa, normally a holding midfielder, has started there in each of FCD's last two games and assisted on a goal by Jeff Cunningham in a 3-0 win against D.C. United on Sunday.

But Hyndman always knew that playing those players at what he honestly considers Sikora's spot was never anything more than a stopgap measure.

And now that FCD is fighting for their playoff lives, Sikora is itching to get back and help them reach the postseason for a fourth consecutive year.

"I just want to help them get into the playoffs and maybe go further," he said. "They're doing a good job now. Well, we're fighting for a prize and when you're doing that, you have to give 110 percent always. I will give everything I have to help FC Dallas. I hope to stay here for three more years. That is my goal."

He admits that throughout his career abroad, the games at the end of the year have always carried a bit more meaning for him because of the incredibly huge stakes.

"Yes, we're on pace to get into the playoffs and everyone knows that," Sikora said. "We can do it."

No comments: