Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cameron carries momentum into 2009

Cameron carries momentum into 2009


HOUSTON, Texas -- One of the biggest surprises in 2008 for the Houston Dynamo came in the form of rookie Geoff Cameron. Making more than 30 appearances in all competitions at seven different positions, the rookie's versatility was a huge part of Houston's success last year. In 2009, Cameron hopes to build upon his success of last year and push for a starting position.

Cameron was drafted in the third round of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Rhode Island and went on to garner consideration for Rookie of the Year. In his second league game and his first start in MLS, he scored what many consider to be the goal of the year for Houston, a dramatic stoppage-time equalizer against in-state rival FC Dallas that also gained recognition as one of five finalists for MLS Goal of the Year.

Cameron went on to play 23 games in MLS league play for Houston, and he started an additional 11 games in the U.S. Open Cup, SuperLiga and in CONCACAF competitions. Still, the lengthy season took its toll on Cameron.

"It was tough. We stayed here until the 26th of November, then I flew home on Thanksgiving day," Cameron said. "We didn't have that long of a break for your body to rest and recuperate. But I wouldn't rather be doing any other job. It's a dream of mine."

The hard work Cameron put in through the year was noticed by Bob Bradley as he was invited to the U.S. national team camp in January ahead of the friendly against Sweden. However, Cameron's time with the national team was cut short when he suffered a hamstring injury early in the camp.

"I felt good going in but for some reason my body didn't hold up. It was a real big disappointment," he said.

Cameron hopes that it won't be his only look with the national team.

"My goal is to have another good year this year and try to get another look," he said. "If that is this year or in a few years, that's my goal and I am going to do what it takes to get there."

For the Dynamo though, Cameron's goals are a little simpler -- earn as much playing time as possible and try to work his way into the starting lineup. With battle-tested MLS veterans at just about every position Cameron plays, he knows it isn't going to be an easy task.

"I want to become a starter," Cameron said. "But obviously we have a great group of guys in front of me, veteran guys who have been playing in the league 8-9 years."

Even if he were to gain a place in the first XI, the biggest question for both Cameron and for the Dynamo coaching staff is finding a position for him. In his rookie season, he saw playing time at center back, outside back, three different positions in midfield, and even some time at forward. Equally remarkable is that he performed well at each position.

So which position does he like best?

"I can't answer that question," Cameron said, laughing. "It doesn't matter where I play. I just want to be on the field like anyone else. I think it's an advantage for me to play all those different positions because it helps me become a better player and hold different roles on the team. Hopefully that gives me an upper hand on more playing time since I am more versatile. I just want to be in the starting XI and play 90 minutes."

With no starting position, Cameron is left trying to impact games off the bench. While he wants to impress the Dynamo coaching staff whenever he is on the field, he knows that the team comes first.

"It's frustrating because you want to be out their playing with the first team. But it gives me motivation to get on the field and when I do get on the field to make use of my time," he said. "... If I get an opportunity to take advantage of the other team then I will try to do that. But I don't want to go out of my way. I want to keep the team [first]."

While the hamstring injury he suffered with the U.S. team has put him a little behind schedule, Cameron is now getting healthy. The time he saw off the bench this week against Atlante in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal is the first step in what Cameron hopes to be a successful and busy 2009.

No comments: