Monday, March 2, 2009

Gonzalez quickly earning keep in LA

Gonzalez quickly earning keep in LA


CARSON, Calif. -- It has been barely a month into the Los Angeles Galaxy's training camp, and Omar Gonzalez has blended in seamlessly.

That's an impressive feat, considering he is a rookie defender and the club's tallest player at 6-feet-5, but the 21-year-old has impressed coaches and teammates with his heady play. He was among their best performers in last week's Pan-Pacific Championships and continues to push for his share of playing time.

Gonzalez had been a first-team All-American at the University of Maryland and last season's College Cup Defensive MVP when he was taken third overall in January's MLS SuperDraft. Galaxy general manager/head coach Bruce Arena made no secret of the fact he was looking for defensive help, and he didn't have to look any farther when Gonzalez became available at the No. 3 pick in the first round.

The 6-5, 210-pounder said the expansion Seattle Sounders FC and D.C. United had showed the most interest in him, but he was pleased when he learned he would be starting his professional career on the West Coast.

"I was happy because I knew it was a good situation for me," he said. "I knew what their situation was and I was ready to come to practice and get things started.

"I think I have a good opportunity here. The guys have been great with me, teaching me things."

One of them is veteran defender Tony Sanneh, trying to make a comeback at 37. Gonzalez questions him almost daily about the nuances of the game, and Sanneh has been more than willing to help.

"He wants to learn," Sanneh said. "He's a real humble kid, and I think that's going to help him get better because he's never satisfied. He's always asking what he should have done and what he should do. He knows there are ways he can improve, and that shows his potential is a lot higher.

"It takes a mature player to be able to step in from the college level and play right away. He will make mistakes, but we all do and hopefully we can help each other out. So far, he's done a great job."

Associate head coach Dave Sarachan said Gonzalez's attitude has been particularly impressive.

"What's there not to like?" Sarachan said. "He comes to work with a smile, and we think he's in a good environment. Being with guys like Tony Sanneh and Eddie Lewis has been great for him.

"I think it's a balance between learning on the job and throwing a lot of things at him. I think it's a little bit of a work in progress, and we've approached it that way. I also think he's done well with that."

Coaches and teammates continue to be careful with the learning process, however. What they are trying to avoid is information overload, and that can be a challenge, considering Gonzalez plays the demanding position of center back. He won't say his head has been spinning from constantly receiving instruction, but it's been close at times.

"That's definitely what's been going on," Gonzalez said. "I've had information coming from everywhere, a lot of stuff to digest. I think I've been taking some things that are more important than others and trying to focus on those more.

"I just have to get used to the talent that I'm facing and the speed of play. The guys I'm going up against are a lot smarter and they close down spaces a lot faster than in college ball."

Gonzalez isn't complaining. He figures it's simply part of the learning process.

"I'm having a blast with these guys," he said. "That's the most important thing."

No comments: