Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cooper excited to be back in Hoops

Cooper excited to be back in Hoops


FRISCO, Texas -- Just 48 hours removed from rejoining FC Dallas, striker Kenny Cooper saw his first game action with his club side in Monday's scoreless draw with Houston Dynamo.

"I want to improve upon the performance and hopefully as a team, we can improve upon it," he said. "From the score, it was an improvement from the game before (a 3-0 loss to Houston on Friday). It's still early on in the preseason. Hopefully we can take in everything Schellas is telling us and apply it. Hopefully we can just continue to improve."

The Hoops striker had missed much of preseason because he was in camp with the U.S. national team. Against the Dynamo, Cooper started and played 71 minutes.

"I thought he did OK," FCD head coach Schellas Hyndman said. "I've seen him play better. He's been training with a different group for three weeks and I don't know what they've been doing because I haven't been involved with their training sessions. But I think he's missed the timing and the things we've been doing. Some of his decision making wasn't what we wanted because it was more things we were working on. But he's a quick learner and we're back on it today."

For much of Monday's scrimmage, he was paired up top with veteran Jeff Cunningham.

"It's nice to be back here training on a daily basis and being around Jeff and all the other players," Cooper said. "It's an opportunity to communicate and get a better understanding of each other. I thought Jeff and I looked to combine a couple of times in the game. He's such an amazing player and has so many different qualities. He's so explosive and a lot of fun to play with. Hopefully in preseason, we can get an even better understanding of each other and hopefully be dynamic together."

Last season, Cooper connected for 18 goals, second in MLS. He earned a spot on the league's Best XI, was also named Comeback Player of the Year and was named FCD team MVP by members of the local media.

However, with FCD adding one of the best crossers in the league in Dave van den Bergh, Cooper knows those numbers could go up in 2009.

"Before he got here, I knew he was a player with a lot of quality and very competitive," Cooper said of the Dutch international. "I always admired all of his qualities when he wasn't on our team. I have had a chance to practice with him a couple of times and really see how good he is. I'm really excited about having him on the team. He's a great guy and I know he's settled in well with the team. He appears to be comfortable with everybody. I'm excited to work with him this year."

The 6-foot-3 Dallas native had missed the start of preseason practice while with the U.S. national team in preparation for the friendly against Sweden. Cooper then returned to Frisco for a few days and participated in several workouts with FCD before his return to the national team.

While he would love to have been involved in Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Mexico, Cooper was happy to be back in hoops.

"I'm excited to be back there and to join up with the guys," Cooper said. "It's fun to see some new faces and see some old faces again. It's nice to get back out here and train with them again too."

Cooper relished his time in camp with the national team and knows participating in those sessions can only make him an even better player in MLS.

"I hope it benefits me a lot," he said. "I've been with them for about four weeks and it's high quality and intense training. Hopefully that will serve me well coming back here now."

No comments: