Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ricchetti honored to wear armband

Ricchetti honored to wear armband


FRISCO, Texas -- There was little surprise last week when FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman selected veteran holding midfielder Pablo Ricchetti out of three candidates to serve as the Hoops captain for 2009.

Being captain has been nothing new for Ricchetti, who has worn the armband on several occasions since joining FCD in 2007. Last season, he was named the team's top defender for his solid play in the middle and also FCD's Humanitarian of the Year for his great work off the field.

The 32-year-old Argentinean was honored to be Hyndman's choice.

"I am proud," Ricchetti said. "It's an honor. It's a big responsibility. I have worked since I've been here as a captain but without the armband. Right now, I have it and its a little more responsibility and I have to do different things. It's nice."

Before coming to FCD two years ago, he had played for famed Argentinean side River Plate before heading to Italy and Spain. But through all of those experiences, he had never been named captain.

"With different teams, I had been captain sometimes but it had never been a regular thing," Ricchetti said. "This is the first time."

In his two-plus seasons in Frisco, not only has the veteran commanded the respect of opponents for his stellar play, but more importantly, he has also earned the respect of his FCD teammates.

"I think everyone in this locker room watches Drew (Moor) and I," he said. "I don't think anyone was surprised when I got it. We will work together. I have the armband right now but very easily, it could have been him. We have two or three players who could have gotten it but I was sure I was one of them. It could have been Drew or it could have been another guy but it was his decision. I like it."

Last year, he earned some additional praise from his teammates by making two starts at center back, a position he hadn't played since his days at River Plate. Ricchetti moved to the back line for two games in September when the defensive options for FCD were limited due to injuries.

His fellow Hoops definitely agree that Hyndman made a solid choice.

"I'm really happy he's the captain," midfielder Eric Avila said. "There are a couple of other guys who could be great captains as well. But I think Pablo is a guy that steps up and tells it how it is. He demands that everyone respects him and that's what we need in a captain."

FCD forward Kenny Cooper, who will now see his club's fourth different captain in his four MLS seasons, is equally pleased with Ricchetti getting the armband.

"I'm excited for Pablo," he said. "It's well-deserved. He has a lot of experience and is a great leader within our team. I know he'll do a great job wearing that armband."

In the offseason, there was some off-field controversy surrounding Ricchetti as he asked the FCD front office for a raise even though he was under contract. That request was rebuffed and rumors surfaced of him possibly being traded to another side.

To his credit, Hyndman smoothed things over because he valued the experience Ricchetti brought to his team both on the pitch and the locker room.

Ricchetti is now crystal clear about what Hyndman's expectations are for him.

"He wants most of the same things I did last year for him," he said. "But he also wants a few different things from me. He wants me talking directly to him about certain situations in the locker room. It's basically the same as it was but only with some added responsibility."

Last week, Hyndman said he sees a captain as being a conduit between the players and the coaches and is a firm believer in open and honest communication between both sides. Ricchetti figures to deliver that, something that had been missing at FCD for the last few seasons.

No comments: