Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lambo sitting in limbo with Hoops

Lambo sitting in limbo with Hoops


FRISCO, Texas -- One position where FC Dallas is squared away is at goalkeeper. Veteran Dario Sala is entrenched as the starter and it appears that third-year 'keeper Ray Burse will be his backup.

That leaves the question of the status of 19-year-old Josh Lambo. The U.S. under-20 national team regular could be going out on loan to a USL First Division side once that league's season begins in April -- which would be just fine with the Wisconsin native.

"I think it would be great, especially for me being a young goalkeeper," Lambo said. "The most important thing is experience because that was teaches you more than practice. In practice, everything is controlled but in a game, you have to be ready for anything. If I can get a game every week when I'm 18, that's going to do nothing but positive things for me down the road."

Lambo has yet to see any first team action with FCD. After a concussion and broken jaw sidelined him for several months last year, he did start three reserve games and went 0-1-1 with a 2.77 goals-against-average.

"It's really out of my hands," Lambo said. "(FCD head coach) Schellas (Hyndman) told me that they are considering putting me on loan this year to get me some experience. I was really happy about that. As of now, I haven't heard anything else on it. I'm not positive about anything yet.

"Either way, it's a win-win. If I stay here, I will get lots of practice and great training from our goalkeeper coach, Drew Keeshan. I get loads of experience from Dario. He helps me out a lot. If I go to Portland, it will be great because I will be getting experience for myself. I will be able to get it firsthand and get things I can't always necessarily get here."

One possible destination for Lambo could be the Portland Timbers of the USL top flight. Burse appeared in 13 games while on loan to the Timbers in 2008 and posted solid numbers: a 5-3-5 record with seven clean sheets and a goals-against-average of 0.70.

"(Burse) told me he really enjoyed it," Lambo said. "He said it was good to get first-team time. He said he loved the club and that Portland is a great town. He got the experience of playing every week, traveling and getting used to that. He's helped out loads."

Burse also offered a ringing endorsement of his time spent in the Northwest.

"It was awesome, playing every week, getting the confidence, first-team experience and all that comes with it," he said. "That's all valuable to a goalkeeper. It's something I have definitely advocated to him. He has asked me about it already. Portland is a great city and the team is great. I think it's something Josh should try and do."

Hyndman has said that in the past, sending Lambo out on loan would be best for his young 'keeper and the team. However, he isn't in any hurry to do so, especially since the USL won't begin play for some time.

"I think there is some time left on it but at the same time, we want to do the right thing for him and get opportunities for him to get games," Hyndman said. "Right now, it's a situation where going out on loan, I don't know if the other teams have started yet. So it would be ridiculous to send him out on loan now if they're not training for another month. We'll do everything we can to do the right thing."

The Hoops will also be hosting MLS emergency pool 'keeper Bryant Rueckner during 2009, which essentially gives the club three 'keepers, a number that grows to four with Lambo in the mix. Hyndman said over the weekend that he felt having three was the ideal number in order to ensure that each player receives an adequate amount of work in training.

Another possible destination a little bit closer to Frisco is about three hours to the south in Austin, a club that is joining USL's top flight in 2009. FCD does have some ties to the Aztex as current forward Jamie Watson spent much of the 2008 season in the Texas state capital before signing with the Hoops last summer.

"I'm not sure (about whether or not I could go there)," Lambo said. "I know it's their first year in. I think the coach wants to get an experienced goalkeeper in for the first season. That's what I've heard. Maybe there is a possibility there but I'm not sure."

No comments: