Monday, March 9, 2009

Going wide may broaden Mansally's horizons

Going wide may broaden Mansallys horizons


GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The idea to try Revolution striker Kenny Mansally out on the left wing popped into New England coach Steve Nicol's head right around the time he first saw him in action.

Mansally and compatriot Sainey Nyassi earned their moves to New England after impressing as wide players for the Gambian U-17s at the FIFA Youth World Cup in 2007. While Nyassi spent most of last season patrolling the right wing for the Revolution, Mansally operated more often as a striker, a position the coaching staff felt suited his skill set.

That perception may have changed during the preseason as Nicol -- partially because of his curiosity and partially because of a groin injury to Mauricio Castro -- shifted Mansally out to play on the left wing.

"We just wanted to look at it," Nicol said. "When we saw him playing [with the Gambian U-17s], we saw him playing wide. We already know he can play up top."

Mansally may be able to play as a striker but he said he also feels comfortable out wide. That could be due to the fact that he does see regular action as a winger for both the Gambian U-20 national team and the senior national team.

Playing on the left ushers in a new approach, according to Mansally.

"I'm excited because when I'm on the left side, I feel like I get more balls," Mansally said. "In the front, you keep it and release it. On the left, you keep it and you take him on."

Taking players on is just one of the new responsibilities for Mansally as he adjusts to a new professional role. As a wide player, Mansally has to track back more often on defense, swing in more crosses and challenge fullbacks one-on-one.

After spending most of last season as a striker, that relative freedom from defensive strictures allows Mansally to attack and go towards the goal or the byline when he obtains the ball out on the wing.

"Paul [Mariner, New England's assistant coach] tells me to go wide and that is the way I love it," Mansally said. "If I get a ball, I'll see a defender and take him on. Most of the time when you play in the front, you have three or four defenders on you. On the left side, you can take defenders on one versus one. It's a good move for me."

Time will tell if the move is permanent or whether Mansally will even see as much playing time as he did last season. With Castro back healthy on the left side and Kheli Dube and Taylor Twellman ahead of him in the pecking order at striker, Mansally may need to use his versatility in order to ensure that he finds his way onto the field.

Once he does find his way onto the pitch, Mansally thinks he can contribute more than last season's tallies of three goals and an assist in 2009.

"I think I'm going to do more this year than I did last year," Mansally said. "I was stopped a lot with my national duties. I played in most of those games. Then I was injured with my ankle. Now everything's fine. This year, I think things will be different. I will hope to get more goals and more assists."

No comments: