Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rookie Barnes making impression

Rookie Barnes making impression


CARY, N.C. -- Draft picks don't have much time to adjust to the rigors of professional level.

From the time players are selected in the SuperDraft or offered a trial as a free agent, they are auditioning for a spot on the roster. Those roster spots are few and far between, especially for players who are drafted outside the first round.

New England Revolution defender Darrius Barnes hasn't locked up one of those precious roster spots yet, but he has done enough to interject himself into the discussion for a place on the Revolution's senior roster.

"Every time I step on the field, I try to give it my all," said Barnes, a third-round pick out of Duke University. "I think it's paid off so far. I still have some work to do. Hopefully, I can keep getting better every day out."

Barnes has impressed coaches and players alike with his smooth transition from the college game. Good work in practice has yielded starting nods in central defense for each of the Revolution's first two preseason games.

"Darrius has settled in well because he's got a great attitude," Revs defender Jay Heaps said. "He's a great talent. He's athletic. He understands the game."

Heaps and Barnes work well together for reasons aside from their common alma mater. Heaps' vocal leadership helps Barnes to perform his defensive duties and utilize his talents, according Revs boss Steve Nicol.

"He helps him get into the right spots," Nicol said. "[But] everyone has to do their job first."

One of Heaps' jobs is to help Barnes learn the finer points of defending at the next level. Barnes has made strides because he is willing to listen and learn, Heaps said.

"He's like a sponge," Heaps said. "Every day, he's getting better and better. That's what is most important about making the transition from college. Some players stay the same, while others continue to improve."

That growth has allowed Barnes, who entered camp as a long shot to make the roster, to leapfrog second-year defender Rob Valentino on the Revs' central defense depth chart. With Michael Parkhurst in Denmark and Gabriel Badilla on the sidelines, Barnes has had the opportunity to bed in with the first team and assimilate to the professional lifestyle.

Barnes credits Heaps and other veterans like Chris Albright, Shalrie Joseph and Jeff Larentowicz for outlining what the team expects from him and what duties and responsibilities he needs to perform in order to succeed.

"I'm starting to get familiar with everybody," Barnes said. "The guys have been a big help for me trying to make the transition. The speed of play is a little bit faster than it was in college, so that's been an adjustment for me. The guys have definitely helped me and held my hand to help show me the ropes. They've helped me out with the transition."

As the season approaches, Barnes hopes that transition will include a permanent spot on the roster. The situation looks promising right now, but Barnes said he knows that nothing is certain until he signs a contract.

"I just try not to deal with the extraneous things and try to control what I can control," Barnes said. "I just try to come out and perform the best I can."

No comments: